In ensuring that ‘better never stops’, our Maths aims to ensure that:
- Pupils will be fluent in arithmetic so they can apply this core knowledge with accuracy and pace across the maths curriculum.
- Pupils build the perseverance and stamina to tackle complex problems so that they become flexible thinkers.
- Pupils are independent learners, self-aware of their next steps and how to support themselves so that they can become resourceful individuals.
- Pupils will become team players, working co-operatively to solve problems, coach and challenge one another.
- Pupils are able to apply their mathematical understanding with confidence across the curriculum so that they are able to purposefully use their skills.
- Pupils take pride in the progress they make so that they grow to be aspirational individuals.
- Pupils will develop a passion for mathematics so that they approach problems with excitement and eagerness to be challenged.
- Through high-quality professional development, pupils have access to first-class teaching that is rooted in the belief that ‘every child can’.
At Spa, we use the White Rose Maths Hub resources to ensure our maths planning is coherently sequenced. At the bottom of this page, our progression documents for each domain clearly outlines the intended knowledge to be learnt and built upon at each stage.
It is our intention that pupils are able to accurately reason and, to achieve this, the teaching of mathematical vocabulary must be coherently sequenced. The vocabulary progression document outlines the intended vocabulary explicitly taught in each year group; this is then revisited throughout the year, future years and built upon.